Have you heard of Howard Lyman? He is the American cattle ranger turned vegan who famously, along with Oprah (yes, that one!), was sued by The National Cattlemen’s Beef Association back in 1996. This came about following his appearance on the Oprah show, on which the Lady herself claimed that she would never eat another burger. This is his (highly entertaining!!) story.
(Ps. the quality on this video isn’t the best but it’s definitely worth a listen…..promise!)
This week I have been mostly experimenting with a clean eating vegan diet.
I’m vegetarian as it is, so although not a huge adjustment, I did face a few difficulties, particularly at breakfast time. But as they say, necessity is the mother of invention & so I came up with this tasty dish. Let me introduce you to my world-famous (ok that’s a slight exaggeration!) Courgette Stacks! They are gluten, dairy & sugar-free, and to be honest would work just as well on the lunch or dinner table. These got quite the reaction on Instagram & Facebook and I promised to share the recipe. So here goes……
Vegan Courgette Stacks
You will need:
- 1 courgette
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 4 mushrooms
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/2 spring onion
- 1 small clove of garlic crushed
- Juice of 1/4 of a lemon
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- pinch of Himalayan rock salt & cracked black pepper
- A drizzle of olive oil
- A few torn basil leaves
- Thinly slice the courgette lengthways & also thinly slice the tomatoes & mushrooms
- Put all of these under the grill & turn the courgette slices when they start to brown
- In the meantime prepare the avocado, by mixing all the other ingredients together (except the basil & olive oil)
- Assemble your stacks as follows; slice of courgette, avocado, mushrooms, tomatoes, basil and repeat.
- Put the stacks back under the grill just to heat through
- Finish with a final layer of avocado & a drizzle of olive oil
- Sit down, relax, chew & enjoy!
Will you try your hand at these? I can’t wait to see all your fabulous creations, so don’t forget to tag me when you’re sharing your pics @aleaflessordinary